Saturday, May 4, 2013

Change

Change is something that older people generally don't appreciate, something that a number of people dread and a select few look forward to, something that can be incredibly exhilarating to a certain individual but obnoxiously inconvenient for another. It's an experience that's different for everybody; for me, I suppose it was undoubtedly necessary for change to happen, but it definitely wasn't amusing or gratifying.

When I was in 2nd grade, I met a short boy who liked to tell jokes and mess around with people. I think I was his first audience to his comedy-stand up routine, because when I laughed at his antics, he labeled me as his buddy a few days and conversations later. At that time, neither of us had any other mates to keep us company, so this was really exciting and new to me. Over time, we added a few more members to our small band of handball-playing, soccer-kicking, clowns-that-always-get-in-trouble group. Somewhere around sixth grade near the end of school, I noticed that my friend seemed to be trying to place himself in the "popular" category and was hanging out with others that we, or in this case, I wouldn't normally linger around. He seemed to pay less and less attention to me too, so I decided that this probably wouldn't last or go anywhere, and ditched him to spend the rest of the few weeks reading in the library.

In seventh grade, I gave up on seeing him altogether, and gathered a new posse of minions-I mean friends, even though I still missed the guy. Sometimes I'd feel lonely and misunderstood because my new chums couldn't make me laugh as hard as he made me, and they didn't know me as well as he did either. That's okay with me though, it's only been about a year and a half, so they have plenty of time. Besides, he's not the same fun-loving, super-kind dude that I'd known before, he's a complete stranger to me now.  It used to make me furious when I thought about this, but I'm cool with it now. I'd have to say this was a change for the better, we'd argue with each other sometimes, and I'd still be ignored and the only girl in a group full of guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.