Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fish Cheeks

The minister's family left the house, looking confused and slightly disturbed still from my father's loud burp. I had experienced one of the most embarrassing dinners of my life. Slowly and quietly, I walked upstairs to my room. I laid on my bed for a few minutes until I heard a soft knock on my door. I looked up to see my mother walk in and say, "Well, wasn't that a delicious meal!". After I didn't answer her for about a minute, she started to notice that something was wrong. "Is there something wrong Amy?"
"Mother, why did you cook all those Chinese dishes for dinner tonight when you knew the minister's family was going to accompany us? I was so embarrassed", I answered her.
"What do you mean? I cooked your favorite dish and you barely even touched it", my mother sounded hurt, "Are you embarrassed about our Chinese culture?"
I did not know what to say to her. Obviously I was embarrassed, but hurting her feelings was the last thing I wanted to do to my mother. "Sometimes I just want to be an American girl."
"Amy, I know that but you are Chinese and I want you to be proud of that."
"I am very proud."
"I have something for you," my mother handed me a present behind her back that I didn't even notice she was holding. I opened it and saw a brown miniskirt; I loved it. I gave her a hug and realized that being an American girl sometimes is needed, but realizing how important my Chinese culture is is equally important.

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be almost the same ending as in the book. Next time when I ask for "alternate" think of a totally different conclusion. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.