Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Alexander in Babylon
This picture's title is Alexander in Babylon . Scrutinizing this painting makes me think about how it represents Alexander's victory because, in the past, he conquered many lands with his elephantine sized army. One sign as to why I think he is celebrating victory is because of how everything in this painting is basking in gold sunlight and how the atmosphere is very joyous and high spirited. Looking closely at the picture, I also noticed how it seems the women and children are waiting for him to ride up into the gates of the palace and how the workers are bringing in gold and treasure, spoils I'm guessing from pillaging their opponents lands. I think they could also could be having a festival of sorts, for one of their many deities. Another time while perusing through this picture, my eyes fell on the figure dripping in gold on the chariot, and I thought that this could be the megalomaniac king, Alexander. On the elephant, could be one of his sons or an entertainer, demonstrating another, more compassionate side, of this stereo-typically brutal king . The men on horses around him I imagine would be either from his army promoting their victory or of the enemy, waving the flags of their new leader in victory, signifying the end of the old kings' reign.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.